The History of Loring Park
Back in 1855, Joseph Johnson established a farm on the land that is now Loring Park. There was a bog on the property that, in 1882, became the inspiration for a pretty pond as the centerpiece of a park. Architect Horace Cleveland designed the park, and in the spring of 1883, the park was dedicated and named Central Park.
The park’s name was changed in 1890 to Loring Park, to honor the first superintendent of the new Minneapolis park system, Charles Loring. The little wood-frame building he used as his office has been renovated and still graces the shore of Loring Pond. The beauty of the park sparked a building boom in the neighborhood. Large brick homes, mansions, and row houses were built in addition to luxury apartment buildings and apartment hotels.
Despite major redevelopment in the 1960s, many of these buildings are still in the Loring neighborhood and give the area its distinct historic flavor. Today, the Loring area is a compact residential neighborhood bound on the north by the Hennepin Avenue Theatre District, on the south by Interstate 94, on the west by Walker Art Center and Sculpture Garden, and on the east by downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. There are many coffee shops and great restaurants within the neighborhood, as well.
Being centrally located, the Loring Park area provides easy access to the chain of lakes: Cedar Lake, Lake of the Isles, Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet, and Lake Nokomis. Along the way is the popular Uptown area, which is famous for quaint shops and exciting dining. It’s easy to get into or out of town via 1-94, which connects Minneapolis and St. Paul. The bus service is within blocks of our buildings.